CIA Director Mike Pompeo boasts to US Congress that USA murdered hundreds of Russians who were fighting ISIS in Syria:
“In Syria, now, a handful of weeks ago, the Russians met their match. A couple hundred Russians were killed. The list of actions that this administration has taken, I’m happy to walk through each of them, but I don’t want to take up more time. The list is pretty long.”
‘We’re exceptional, Russia is not’: Pompeo takes hard line in Senate pitch
RT, 12 Apr, 2018
Facing widespread opposition from Democrats over his political beliefs, Mike Pompeo, President Donald Trump’s nominee to take over the State Department, took a hard line on Russia in his confirmation hearing.
Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee grilled the former congressman from Kansas, who headed the CIA for the past 15 months, about his beliefs regarding gay marriage, Muslims, abortion, etc. They did not, however, object to his positions on Russia, which were in line with those laid out by Hillary Clinton after her loss to Trump in the 2016 presidential election.
Pompeo described Russia as “a danger to our country” and blamed Russian President Vladimir Putin for any “bad blood” between Washington and Moscow. He also vowed to “confront [the Russians] at every vector, cyber, economic, et cetera. We need to make sure Putin doesn’t succeed.”
When Clinton’s former running mate Senator Tim Kaine (D-Virginia) asked if the US should back off from regime change and democracy promotion because Russia or another country might feel justified to engage in the same policies, Pompeo responded with a variant of “it’s different when we do it.”
“This is a unique, exceptional country,” he said. “Russia is unique, but not exceptional.”
“I mean, look at the election meddling, right?” Pompeo continued, to grins from Senate Democrats. “The words ‘democracy promotion’ and ‘Vladimir Putin’ are unlikely to be used in the same sentence, paragraph, or document – maybe the same century.”
The US should be proud of the “way we engage with the peoples of the world,” which is “different in kind” from how Russia does things, Pompeo continued.
Answering Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-New New Hampshire), Pompeo listed the ways in which the Trump administration has confronted Russia, from sanctions and the expulsion of diplomats to the new nuclear posture review.
“In Syria, now, a handful of weeks ago the Russians met their match. A couple hundred Russians were killed,” he said.
Comments on story at The Daily Mail:
- “It was a GOOD thing those Russians were killed.”
- “This tool is sort of boasting about the death of Russians.”
- “America never seriously suffered in a war conflict and their politicians are just overly confident.”
- “The US air force is I S I S’s air force. They get it for free.”
- “Funny, when it is about russian soldiers , they call them all mercenaries , when they talk about russian diplomats they are all apparently spies. It might be the truth, but lets be objective in such case, call american soldiers mercenaries too, why not?”
- “What the F are we doing? This won’t last long , we won’t last long this way.”
- “Assad is the final person who hasn’t given up control in the Middle East. The United States needs all the Middle East under its control and will create so many false narratives to attain it to control the oil.”
- “Who are you in ‘merica? The worlds police force. Empire building 200 years after it went out of fashion.”
- “Yanks caused the refugee problem in Europe not the Russians.”
- “I’d think if 250 Americans were killed by Russians there would be one hell of an uproar. Interesting how the Russians have been so quiet about this.”
- “No news here, move on”